I N S P I R A T I O N

I M A G I N A T I O N

I N N O V A T I O N

 

Our Process

We begin with an inspiration – a scent, a sight, a sound, a memory. What inspires you to try something new, do something different? What makes you happy or sad? Are you inspired by the beauty of the world or by the kindness of mankind? Inspiration is our nucleus that starts the journey to deliciousness, wonder, and taste bud rhapsody.

With our inspiration in hand we let imagination take over. Imagination has no boundaries, no issues, no constraints or preconceived ideas and expectations. The playfulness of a child, the dreams of a magician, the silliness of naiveté. Imagine if food could levitate off the table right before your eyes. Imagine if everything you saw or touched was absolutely delicious, beautiful and awe-inspiring. We question gastronomic logic, we reshape the dining concept, we create an environment where both chef and guest are given the ability to explore all senses and abandon preconceived beliefs.

Innovation is where we turn imagination into reality. Using everything from cutting edge techniques and tools to ancient ingredients and approaches we endeavor to do the impossible. We view these modern techniques as one of many tools used to craft a conversation and a cuisine, not as a cuisine on its own, therefore we do not use the term molecular gastronomy as it would limit our creativity and exploration. We are explorers in every sense of the word, discovering the unknown and relishing the surprise.

To experience eculent is to taste its food, but also so much more. Taste is only one component. We have developed an R&D process called FATS™ which stands for Flavor, Aroma, Taste, and Senses. Anything you eat will be comprised of these components. Flavor and Taste are often thought of as the same thing, but they are not. Flavor for us is the combination of Aroma, Taste, Mouthfeel and Temperature. It is the unique combination that makes you love a dish or hate it. A simple way to think of this is many people love hot coffee and/or iced coffee. Completely different mouthfeels and temperature as well as different aromas and tastes that come through your taste buds and nostrils. But who likes room temperature coffee? No one! Aromas can be retronasal (from inside the mouth) or orthonasal from sniffing your food or aromas in the air. Both contribute to your satisfaction of the food and its taste.

Over the last five years we have honed our research on how aromas can contribute to a dish and how we can use orthonasal aromas to enhance the enjoyment of food especially for those with certain allergies. Taste comes from inside the mouth and is commonly referred to as salty, sweet, bitter, sour, and umami. But only 20% of what we “taste” actually comes from our taste buds, the other 80% is from aromas.

Lastly we focus on Senses. Food is emotional for most people. Your mood and the mood of those around you, the lighting, the sounds or music in the background, and specific smells you breathe in while eating all influence your overall enjoyment and build up your preconceived idea of what you are about to taste. By understanding all the senses and designing each course to maximize your senses we are able to send your mind on a gastronomic journey evoking new and found memories…. This is eculent.

 



Need a creative session for your business

We work with all kinds of businesses who need a creative boost to their business, product line, or R&D unit. Please fill out the form below and we will get back with you to discuss your needs.

Name *
Name